Friday, May 16, 2014

Nyx HD Photogenic Concealer review and all about corrective concealers

I am constantly on the hunt for a good concealer. It is very hard to find one that is light enough to match my skintone. It is also pretty hard for me to find one with the coverage I need.  It is even harder to find one in my budget. During my search of concealers, I stumbled upon this: the Nyx HD Photogenic concealer (which is also referred to as concealer wand). Nyx is a brand that I trust and I own a good amount of their products. They have some fantastic products at great prices. Perfect for those on a budget.





As I normally do before I purchase any sort of product, I looked up swatches and some reviews online (that's right, beauty bloggers do read other blogs). While looking through swatches, I also saw that this concealer has correcting shades. I had dabbled with a correcting concealer from ELF some years ago, but it was pretty horrible. I had steered clear due to that experience, but I thought I would give these correcting concealers a try. I purchased the shades porcelain, green and yellow.

Packaging:




These concealers come in a lip gloss like packaging in a tube with a doe foot applicator. Not the most hygienic ( I prefer a pump or tube), but it does help for quick application. It is great to take with you on the go. To apply I like to dab a little (you don't need a lot to start with) and blend out.



Swatches of all three: 


My camera decided to make the green more blue toned than it actually is. Do not fear, it is indeed green.






My review of the shade - Porcelain:

The shade porcelain was perfect for my skin tone! Super fair, which is exactly what I needed. The formula is very creamy and it blends nicely. It has medium coverage that can be layered to full. It does a great job concealing blemishes and blends well on top of foundation. This is my favorite concealer right now, it is awesome!


Correcting concealers:

For those of you that don't know about correcting concealers, they come in some colors you wouldn't expect to see as a concealer. The most common being green, yellow and lavender. They are called correcting concealers for a reason, they correct certain tones of your skin. They go by the rules of the color wheel (complimentary colors). Green is used to neutralize (or cancel out) redness, yellow is used to neutralize purple tones and lavender is used to cancel out yellow tones (sallow skin). Another correcting color, orange is used to cancel out blue tones.

Many under eye concealers are yellow or orange toned to help cancel out the blue and purple tones. Yellow also tends to help brighten the skin, which is what you want for your eyes. 

It is important to remember with correcting shades to always follow with a skin toned concealer or foundation.

So how did the correcting shades of this concealer add up?

My review of the shade - Green:

I use this green concealer to cover the redness on my face. I have a lot of redness. The green is a light green shade. Use it sparingly, adding little dabs in the areas needed. Then blend out. This shade I find a little more difficult to blend out, but it will blend well. Be careful not to use too much or you will end up looking like Elphaba (Any Wicked fans??). This concealer actually does a great job at canceling out redness! If you have a ton of redness like me, it won't completely get rid of it, but it will make a huge difference. It really tones down the redness for me. When I use this, I actually end up using a lot less normal concealer and foundation.

My review of the shade - Yellow:

I got this shade to help with my under eye circles, which are kind of dark with one spot under my eye being very difficult to conceal. I apply it like I apply any under eye concealer, in a V shape going from the outer corners of my eye to the top of my cheekbones. Then I blend. This does blend easier than the green shade. I found that it cancels out my under eye circles really well, but I do need to apply another concealer on top for the darker spot. This color is the sheerest of the three. For some reason my swatch came out looking sheerer than this concealer really is. Added bonus: it does a wonderful job of brightening.


Overall I was really impressed with all of the shades of these concealers. They are definitely becoming a staple of mine. Great concealers at a great price. Just around $5 depending on where you buy (I bought mine on amazon). I liked these so much, that I would definitely add them to my professional kit.





No comments:

Post a Comment