Can you believe that St. Patty’s Day is just around the corner! For this tutorial I will be showing how to do a simple rainbow and Leprechaun buckle.
What you will need:
- Base coat and top coat (as always)
- Nail polish in: red, orange, yellow, green, and either blue or purple (Try to use nice bright nail polishes.)
- Gold and black nail art paint
- Thin brush
1. First, use acetone to take off the beautiful nail polish that you applied the last time you did your nails. Then apply one coat of whatever base coat you use.
2. Each nail will have a different color of the rainbow so make sure you do not accidentally paint all of your nails the same color. (I have done this before and it can be a bit annoying to take it off.) To make it easier to remember which color goes on which nail here is a little cheat sheet:
a. Thumb - red
(Avon Speed Dry Reddy to Go $6)
b. Pointer - orange
(Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in Beta from Sephora $10)
c. Middle - Yellow
(Avon Nailwear Pro in Sunshine $6)
d. Ring - Green
(ELF Teal Blue $2)
e. Pinky - Blue or purple (I had to use purple because I do not have blue nail polish. This will change soon.)
(ELF Purple Dream $2)
(Each of the nail polishes shown are the polishes I used for this tutorial.)
You may have to apply from one coat up to three coats of polish depending on the color you use.
Once you have finished applying all the different colors allow them to dry COMPLETELY. This is most important for the green nails because this is where the nail art is to be applied. Below is what mine looked like:
3. Now onto the nail art! For this part you will need the gold and black nail art polish and the small brush.
a. Depending on your nail size, using the black paint a good size line across the width of your nail and allow to dry.
I am using a Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen in black to accomplish this. These can be found in drugstores for $8.00.
b. Next, using the gold, paint a box that goes through the line and onto the green. This is hard to explain so please refer to the picture below or follow this link to a picture tutorial of how to make one: http://pinterest.com/pin/304415256032658159/
I am using a Nail Candy duo, specifically the gold side. This can be found on amazon.com for $8.00.
c. For this part you may find it easier to use a small brush to do the design instead of the brush given. The one I used to paint the gold on was from Sephora and it came in a set with a dotting tool for $10. However you can find a set of three different size brushes for $1.60 on amazon.com.
4. Finally, apply the top coat. Once finished the outcome should look something like this: